Sunday, May 13, 2012

How the images created by Deng Cheng-hong influenced the writing of POLAR CITY RED, a cli fi nvoel set in 2075 A.D.

Jim Laughter, the author of POLAR CITY RED, available now at Amazon and as a POD paperback from AWOC Press in Texas, explains:

"In the summer of 2011, Dan Bloom, the American director of the Polar Cities Research Project in  Taiwan , sent me online photographs of Mr. Deng's ideas like those above which were about what a house in a polar city would look like. To me, Deng's images, reminded me of a livable land-based iceberg with only a small portion of it above ground and the rest of it descending deep into the Earth. I adapted some of the housing in Polar City Red to conform to Deng's ideas.''






Jim Laugher adds:

"Mr. Deng's idea is probably more practical than mine, but for my novel, which is pure fiction, I decided to go another away. I chose to use a mix of modern geodesic domes (the scientific aspect) and a frontier gold-rush city theme with lean-to shacks, improvised housing made from salvaged truck trailers, tents, wooden and rock structures, etc,. If a person were to approach Polar City Red, they would see science and survival in a single glance. The population of Polar City Red are also a mix of highly educated people (the science) and ordinary people who've escaped the climate chaos of the lower 48 and the other continents and migrated north to save their own lives. "

"I'm very grateful to the botanical gardens in St. Louis, Missouri for allowing me to use their geodesic dome, The Climatron, as the primary setting for this book. How did I get the Climatron to the Arctic Circle? You'll have to read the book to find out."



''Is the book real or fiction? Global warming is real. The climate choas is real. The book is fiction laced with just enough science to make it feel real. I'll let readers make up their own minds between fact and fiction.''

 

No comments: